Wednesday

Vision in White by Nora Roberts

After years of throwing make-believe weddings in the backyard, flowers, photography, desserts, and details are what these women do best: a guaranteed perfect, beautiful day full of memories to last the rest of your life. 

With bridal magazine covers to her credit, Mackensie "Mac" Elliot is most at home behind the camera - ready to capture the happy moments she never experienced while growing up. Her father replaced his first family with a second, and now her mother, moving on to yet another man, beg Mac for attention and money. Mac's foundation is jostled again moments before an important wedding planning meeting when she bumps into the bride-to-be's brother...an encounter that has them both seeing stars. 

Carter Maquire is definitely not her type: he's stable, and he's safe. He's even an English teacher at their high school alma mater. There's something about him that makes Mac think a casual fling is just what she needs to take her mind off dealing with bridezillas and screening her mother's phone calls. But a casual fling can turn into something more when you least expect it. And with the help of her three best friends - and business partners - Mac must learn how to make her own happy memories. [via GoodReads]
First things first, I have a confession... this is my first Nora Roberts book. I know, I know, and no, I have not been living under a rock. I've always stayed away from her books because I am not much of a contemporary romance reader, and also because I have always felt that she writes for an older crowd. Don't ask me why I've been under that impression.

With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I actually enjoyed this first book in the quartet. Not only did I find the writing hip and young, but the characters are all around my age (early 30's) so I really felt that I could relate.

This book really is the ultimate girly book - for no other reason then the fact that it revolves around weddings. I don't know about you guys, but I love weddings - not only being in one, but also attending them. I loved being a bride, I still do not regret the amounts of money we spent on our wedding, the pictures, the cake, the gifts... and this book really helps you reminisce and capture that joy once again.

Apart from the beautiful weddings, I think Ms. Roberts does a phenomenal job of capturing the friendships the four girls have. I truly loved their dynamics. They each have their own job/duties in running the premier wedding service that "Vows" provides. Piper - the wedding coordinator; Mackenzie - the photographer; Emmaline - florist extraordinaire and Laurel - the wedding cake designer. They all live right on the estate and are at the beck and call of each other. I absolutely adored this set-up. They were so tight, and deep and just had each others backs.

As for the romance, it was definitely sigh worthy. In comes Carter - literally - since he comes into Mac's house when she's shirtless - and out goes Carter - like literally - since he bangs his head so hard on her door that he almost passes out. I really liked the way their relationship unfolds... slowly and by these sweet increments, it really gave it a realistic aspect. It wasn't something where they meet, they fall madly in love, they jump in bed and they're married. No, this was a slow progression, that I think really worked. Mac has many issues, but I think Carter handled everything quite nicely, nothing some gentle persuasion couldn't accomplish.

I have always enjoyed a good story about relationships whether it's about romance, friendship or family - and in this book you will find all three. As with any romance, there is always a happy ending (at least in the one's I like to read), but I truly enjoy when a girl has to work for her happy ever after - and you definitely get that here.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I think it's a nice start to what I hope will be a very special series.

My Rating:

13 comments:

Juliane said...

I read this book too and I read a lot of Nora Robert's novels. And I have to say: It's far NOT the best.

Try the "In The Garden" - Trilogy. Those novels are great :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/114134.In_the_Garden_Collection

Greetings from Germany,
Juli

jenna said...

I love how well the cover matches your site layout! I think this one's going to be added to be To Be Read pile.

Thanks!

-Jenna
http://elevenpages.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

I'm with you: I have never read a Nora Robert's book. I think all the hype about her kind of scared me away. But this particular set of books definitely interest me. Maybe I should try it out. This first installment definitely sounds up my alley.

justpeachy36 said...

I was never much of a Nora Roberts fan until I started this series. Vision in White is great story about love and friendship! Just goes to show everyone who reads a book has a different opinion.

Just Mom said...

I've has the same impression about Nora Roberts and in fact, I had a chance at this one the other day but walked away thinking, "I'm not that old yet." If it comes back up, I'll take it now!

Mystica said...

The cover is delicious!

Cindy said...

Not really a huge fan on this author, but I might give this one a try. Great review :)

Lover Of Romance said...

I am halfway through reading this one, and I love it so far!!! I think I am really going to enjoy this series, especially since I love weddings!! Great Review!!!

Veens said...

I have this one! And I hope to like it as much as u did!

Cecelia said...

I didn't read anything Nora Roberts until college, when I was on break and visiting my roommate's parents' house, and found an older Nora Roberts sitting on the shelf. I haven't turned back since. I don't read everything she writes, but the lady is a worldwide best-seller for a reason. Her books have heart, strong women, and a good dose of reality thrown in with the happily-ever-after. In this series I liked the second book best, but I'm looking forward to book #4 too. Enjoy the world of Nora Roberts (now that you're here)!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Awesome review :)

Rowena said...

I love this series, if you enjoyed this book then I think you'll enjoy the next book as well. Bed of Roses is my favorite book in the series and the hero, Jack Cooke is yummy!

Great review, it's made me want to take these books out and read them again.

Unknown said...

I have never read a Nora Roberts book until I found out about this book. I am now halfway done with it and I'm looking forward to the rest of them.

Oh and the Coordinator's name is Parker, not Piper ;) I enjoined your review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit